People worldwide dream of coming to the United States of America. They want to come because they perceive the USA as a land of freedom and opportunity for themselves and their families.
The USA has many immigration restrictions and visa processing can be slow … often taking years.
However, there is a faster way to come to America, if you (or your extended family) are fortunate to have savings to invest in an American business, including a franchise.
To accomplish that, there are two programs available:
- EB-5 Visa Program which has an annual immigration cap of 1,000 investors, high investment requirement, and one to two years processing time.
- E-2 Visa Program having no investor cap, a lesser investment requirement, and a two to three month processing time (if you are from a country having a business treaty alliance with the USA). If you are not from a treaty county, there is a work around.
E-2 Visa Franchise Services focuses principally on helping E-2 Investors meet their requirements to obtain the E-2 Treaty Investor Visa.
What is the E-2 Treaty Investor Visa?
The E-2 Visa is a long-term, non-immigrant work visa that is available to foreign investors who live in countries that have signed an investment treaty with the United States. To confirm your country is listed click Treaty Country Listings.
This investor’s visa can be renewed for as long as the U.S. sponsoring business employs several full-time workers and continues to be profitable.
In order to obtain the E-2 Investor Visa, a substantial investment into an active U.S. business which will be sufficient enough to develop a profit is required. This business must have an important effect to the local community and economy – meaning that it will create jobs for local workers and employ a minimum of 5 full-time workers while earning enough income to realize a profit beyond paying the investor’s living wage.
In many cases, your country’s US Consulate office issues a first time investor a visa for only 2 years, which can be renewed if the investor’s business qualifies. Through the discretion of the consular officer, the investor’s visa renewals can be issued.
Advantages of the E-2 Visa:
- Investors from over 75 countries (who have signed an investment treaty with the United States) are allowed to establish, advance and operate a business within the United States. Refer to Treaty Country Listing.
- There is no minimum investment amount that is required – as long as the investment is enough to establish, develop and operate a profitable business that meets the criteria above. Practically, the amount investment is $200,000 – $400,000 however. some investors have invested only $50,000.
- Spouse of a person who is an E-2 Investor may be issued an E-2 Dependent Visa which can allow the spouse to apply for work authorization based on their E-2 dependent visa.
- Children under 21 of the E-2 Investor will also be issued an E-2 dependent visa and are able to attend school of their choice (in many states, children can qualify for in-state tuition at State Universities up until they reach the age of 21). Children of a E-2 Investors do not qualify for a work visa.
- The E-2 visa holder has the choice of living outside of the United States for unsettled amount of time and can re-enter the country for as long as their visa is valid.
- If the investor is not from a treaty country, there is another avenue available by becoming a dual citizen of a treaty country which will add to the overall cost by $200,000 plus.
If you are in a situation whereby you think E-2 Visa Franchise Services might assist you, then please complete our Contact Form.